January is National Cervical Health Awareness Month and Boulder Medical Center’s Obstetrics and Gynecology Department wants you to know that there’s a lot you can do to prevent cervical cancer. Each year, more than 11,000 women in the United States get cervical cancer.
HPV (human papillomavirus) is a very common infection that spreads through sexual activity, and it causes almost all cases of cervical cancer. About 79 million Americans currently have HPV, but many people with HPV don’t know they are infected.
The good news?
- The HPV vaccine (shot) can prevent HPV
- Cervical cancer can often be prevented with regular screening tests and follow-up care
In honor of National Cervical Health Awareness Month, the National Cervical Cancer coalition encourages:
- Women to start getting regular cervical cancer screenings at age 21
- Parents to make sure pre-teens get the HPV vaccine at age 11 or 12
Teens and young adults also need to get the HPV vaccine if they didn’t get it as pre-teens. Women up to age 26 and men up to age 21 can still get the vaccine.
Schedule your annual well-woman checkup and be sure to ask your provider if the HPV vaccine is right for you. Many insurance plans cover checkups and the vaccine at little or no cost to you. Check with your insurance company to learn more.
Taking small steps can help keep you safe and healthy.
About the Boulder Medical Center Obstetrics and Gynecology Department
Boulder Medical Center offers top-quality women’s care in Boulder, Louisville and Longmont. From childbirth through menopause, the Boulder Medical Center obstetrics and gynecology department delivers quality, comprehensive care for women in all stages of their lives. With one of Boulder County’s largest OB/GYN teams, we’re conveniently located in three locations including our new clinic in Longmont. Our services include:
- Family planning
- Routine checkups and wellness care
- Pregnancy – low- and high-risk, multiples
- Basic infertility evaluation
- Perimenopause and menopause management and treatment
- Abnormal uterine bleeding, fibroids, pelvic pain
- Minimally invasive gynecologic surgery
- And lots more…
Click here to learn more about the Boulder Medical Center OB-GYN group!