B. Alison Schultz
About B. Alison Schultz
Dr. B. Alison Schultz joined Boulder Medical Center in 2011. She specializes in caring for patients with low- and high-risk pregnancies, performing routine gynecologic health maintenance, and providing medical and surgical management for gynecologic conditions. Dr. Schultz enjoys caring for her patients throughout all of life's stages -- from adolescence through young adulthood and childbearing years, into menopause and beyond.
MINIMALLY INVASIVE GYNECOLOGIC SURGERY
A specialist in Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Surgery, Dr. Schultz spent two years of extra training after residency completing an American Academy of Gynecologic Laparoscopists (AAGL) accredited fellowship. She has a special interest in abnormal uterine bleeding, pelvic pain, endometriosis, uterine fibroids, and benign ovarian masses.
Dr. Schultz also specializes in advanced laparoscopic and hysteroscopic procedures, favoring minimally invasive options that can lead to quicker recovery, decreased hospital stays, less post-operative pain, lower pain medication requirements, preferable cosmetic outcomes, and higher patient satisfaction.
In 2016, Dr. Schultz and the hospital where she conducts surgeries (Avista Adventist in Louisville, Colo.) became a Center of Excellence in Minimally Invasive Gynecology (COEMIG) surgeon / facility. COEMIG is a prestigious program certified by the American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists (AAGL) and Surgical Review Corporation (SRC). These organizations recognize select hospitals and surgeons around the world that provide exceptional minimally invasive gynecologic surgical care and are dedicated to improving healthcare quality and patient safety.
When a woman sees the COEMIG seal, she knows that she is receiving the highest quality minimally invasive gynecologic care from a facility and surgeon committed to adhering to the field's best practices and procedures that typically result in an excellent patient experience, better outcomes, and the highest quality post-operative care.
PHILOSOPHY OF CARE
Dr. Schultz provides both obstetric and gynecologic care to her patients with a kind and compassionate manner. She brings a sincere and thoughtful approach to each patient’s situation.
“I take the time to listen to my patients, ask and answer questions, and explain possible diagnoses and treatment options," she explains. "I strive to equip my patients with an understanding of their condition so that they can become an active participant in their own health care.”
Dr. Schultz practices evidence-based medicine and is committed to staying up-to-date with advances in the field of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Dr. Schultz lives in Superior, Colorado with her husband and two daughters. She enjoys spending time with family, SCUBA diving, traveling, running and hiking.
Dr. B. Alison Schultz is a board certified OB/GYN (general OB/GYN) and fellow in Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Surgery (FMIGS).
• Pregnancy: Low- and High-Risk, Multiples
• Preventative Care
• Abnormal Uterine Bleeding (AUB)
• Adnexal Mass
• Pelvic Pain
• Abnormal Pap Smears
• Family Planning
• Menopausal Issues
• Painful Intercourse
• GYN Cancer Prevention
PROCEDURES / SURGERIES OFFERED:
Dr. Schultz performs deliveries at Avista Adventist Hospital, the premier Centura facility for Obstetrics and Gynecologic Care. The "New Life Center" at Avista Hospital has 28 private birthing suites and a Level IIIB Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (the largest and most advanced in the area). The facility also consistently scores among the nation's top hospitals for patient, physician and employee satisfaction and has repeatedly earned the Women’s Choice Award as a Top 100 Hospital for both Patient Experience and Obstetrics. Services provided:
• Vaginal Delivery
• Operative Vaginal Delivery
• Vaginal Birth After C-Section (VBAC)
• Removal of Uterine Fibroids (Myomectomy)
• Removal of Uterine Polyps (Polypectomy)
• Sterilization - Essure Tubal Ligation
• Endometrial Ablation - Novasure or Thermachoice
• Endometrial Resection with or without Ablation
• Hysterectomy - Including Single-Incision (“Scarless”) Hysterectomy
• Evaluation and Treatment of Pelvic Pain (Acute and Chronic)
• Endometriosis Treatment
• Removal of Uterine Fibroids (Myomectomy)
• Removal of Ovarian Cysts or Tumors
• Removal of One or Both Ovaries (Salpingo-oophorectomy)
• Ectopic Pregnancy
• Uterosacral Colpopexy
Open (Laparotomy) Surgery - if indicated
• IUD (Mirena or Paraguard) Placement/Removal
• Nexplanon Removal
• LEEP, Cervical Conization, Cryotherapy
• Cervical Laser Vaporization
•Excision of Vulvo-vaginal Lesions
MINIMALLY INVASIVE SURGERY
As a surgeon with Avista Adventist Hospital, Dr. Schultz is part of a select team of Colorado OB/GYN physicians and hospitals that have earned the AAGL Center of Excellence in Minimally Invasive Gynecology (COEMIG) seal from the American Associate of Gynecologic Laparoscopists (AAGL) and Surgical Review Corporation.
This designation places Dr. Schultz at the forefront of minimally invasive gynecologic care, and signifies her commitment to provide the best and safest care to her patients.
RESEARCH AND PUBLICATIONS:
1) Schultz BA, Ahluwalia P, Oberoi N., Gurunatha, T. A Retrospective Analysis of 100 Consecutive Cases of Laparo-Endoscopic Single-Site (LESS) Hysterectomy. 40th Global Congress of Minimally Invasive Gynecology AAGL Annual Meeting, Hollywood, FL, 11/9/2011.
2) Schultz BAH, Falcone T. Chapter 15: The Role of Definitive Surgery in the Management of Chronic Pelvic Pain and Posthysterectomy Pain. In: Vercellini P ed., Chronic Pelvic Pain. Wiley-Blackwell, 2011.
3) Waters T, Schultz BAH, Mercer B, Catalano P. Effect of 17α-Hydroxyprogesterone Caproate on Glucose Intolerance in Pregnancy. Obstetrics & Gynecology 2009; 114(1): 45-9.
4) Schultz BAH, Roberts S, Rodgers A, Ataya K. Case Report. Pregnancy in True Hermaphrodites and All Male Offspring To Date. Obstetrics & Gynecology 2009;113(2): 534-6.
5) Waters T, Schultz BAH, Mercer B, Catalano P. Effect of 17α-Hydroxyprogesterone Caproate on Glucose Intolerance in Pregnancy. Poster presentation by Dr. T. Waters at SMFM, 2008.
6) Ataya KM, Schultz B, Rodgers A, Roberts S. Abstract. Pregnancy in a True Hermaphrodite with a Remaining Ovotestis. Fertility and Sterility 2008; 90, Sup 1:S444.
7) American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists 54th Annual Clinical Meeting, Washington, DC. Paraiso MF, Ashby M, Chung G, and Schultz B. Live Telesurgical Session: Laparoscopic Sacral Colpopexy. May 9, 2006.
8) Schultz BH, Wilson J, Vogt MM, Brabec CJ, Lyles R. Is There a Uterine Factor to Aging? Effect of Maternal Age on Donor Oocyte Pregnancy and Clinical Miscarriage Rate. Fertility and Sterility 2005; 84, Sup 1: S263-4. Poster Presentation given October 17, 2005 at the ASRM & CFAS Conjoint Annual Meeting in Montreal, Canada.
Education and Certifications
Fellowship — St. Elizabeth Medical Center
Fellow of Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Surgery (FMIGS), American Academy of Gynecologic Laparoscopists (AAGL)
Residency — The Cleveland Clinic Foundation and Case Western Reserve (MetroHealth Medical Center)
Obstetrics and Gynecology (OB-GYN)
Medical School — Kansas City University of Medicine & Biosciences (KCUMB) – College of Osteopathic Medicine
Doctor of Osteopathy (D.O.)
Kansas City, MO
Graduate School — Rockhurst University
Masters of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Health Care Leadership
Kansas City, MO
-Board Certified by the American Board of Obstetrics & Gynecology (ABOG)
-Fellowship Trained in Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Surgery (FMIGS)
-American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG)
-American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists (AAGL)
-Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons (SLS).
-AAGL Resident for Special Excellence in Endoscopic Procedures, 2009
-SLS Outstanding Laparoendoscopic Resident Surgeon, 2009
-MetroHealth Medical Center OB-GYN Employee of the Month, 10/2006
-Sigma Sigma Phi National Osteopathic Honor & Service Fraternity
-Summa Cum Laude Honors, Rockhurst University, 1999
-Honors Program Graduate, Rockhurst University, 1999
-Dean’s Honor Roll (all semesters), Rockhurst University, 1995-1999
-Alpha Sigma Nu National Jesuit Honor Society, Rockhurst University, 1998