Patient Rights and Responsibilities
As a Boulder Medical Center (BMC) patient, you have the rights and responsibilities listed below. Please read them carefully and ask questions if there is something you do not understand. The BMC is a professional corporation which employs all of the physicians, Advanced Practice Providers (APP e.g. Nurse Practitioner, Physician Assistant) and other employees who work at BMC. A substantial number of physicians at BMC are owners and have a financial interest in the Boulder Medical Center, P.C., including the Ambulatory Surgical Unit/Gastroenterology Lab.
You have the right to:
- Be treated with respect, consideration, and dignity.
- Impartial access to treatment regardless of race, creed, primary language, sex, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or gender identity
- An interpreter, if you do not understand or speak spoken English
- Participate in decisions regarding your health care
- Give an informed consent to the physician/APP prior to the start of a procedure
- Know the identity and professional status of any individual providing service to you and to know which physician/APP is primarily responsible for your care
- Privacy regarding your health information
- Request and receive a written copy of a Privacy Notice which explains how your protected health information is utilized and sent to those that may need to receive it
- Know what BMC rules and regulations apply to your conduct as a patient
- Receive care in a safe setting and one free of all forms of abuse or harassment
- Refuse any drug, test, procedure or treatment
- Health services consistent with current professional skills and knowledge
- Receive an explanation of your bill
- Expect emergency procedures to be implemented without delay
- Be informed verbally and in writing that BMC does not honor Do Not Resuscitate requests
- Expect expedient and professional transfer to another facility when medically necessary and notification of the receiving facility prior to transfer. The receiving facility may not honor the request to withhold Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation.
- Have personal belongings safeguarded and returned upon discharge
- Receive verbal and written notice of these patient rights and responsibilities
- Full information in layman’s terms regarding diagnosis, treatment and preventive measure (if it is medically advisable to present this information.) If it is not medically advisable to present information to you, the information shall be provided to the designated responsible representative on your behalf
- Be informed of the charges for services you will receive at Boulder Medical Center, and the portion you will pay based on the insurance information you have provided to Boulder Medical Center
- Receive an estimated cost of the charges before treatment begins
You have the responsibility to:
- Provide full cooperation with regard to instructions given by your physician or other provider, including with your treatment plan
- Provide BMC with all medical information which may have a direct effect on your care
- Act in a respectful and considerate manner toward other patients, visitors, and BMC staff, including mindfulness of noise levels and appropriateness of language. Physical and verbal threats are not tolerated. Inappropriate behavior will hamper your ability to schedule future appointments and may result in additional consequences up to dismissal from the practice
- Provide a responsible adult to transport you home from a BMC facility and remain with you for 24 hours if required by your physician
- Inform facility staff about any advance directives (such as living will or medical power of attorney) that could affect your care
- Ensure BMC has your current phone and mail contact information
- Provide BMC with current personal insurance coverage information, including presenting insurance cards at check-in and completing all fields on the registration forms, including all information regarding third-party insurance coverage
- Fulfill financial responsibility for all services received, as determined by your insurance carrier
- Inform a staff member if you believe your privacy has been violated, your safety is being threatened, or you desire to file a grievance
File a Concern, Suggestion or Grievance
A patient may expect to exercise his or her rights without being subjected to discrimination or reprisal. File a concern, suggestion or grievance with:
- Any Boulder Medical Center Staff Member
- Patient Advocate at the Boulder Medical Center, P.C.
- Phone: 303-440-3125, or
- 2750 Broadway Ave., Boulder CO 80304, or
- Email: PatientConcerns@bouldermedicalcenter.com
- Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment Health Facilities & Emergency Medical Services Division
Attn: Complaint Intake
4300 Cherry Creek Dr. So; Denver, CO 80246-1530
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 303-692-2904
- Medicare Beneficiary Ombudsman
Contact for information and understanding of beneficiary rights and protections at:
- TTY users should call 1-877-486-2048
- Website: http://www.medicare.gov/navigation/help-and-support/ombudsman.aspx
Section 504 Notice of Program Accessibility
Boulder Medical Center, P.C. and all of its programs and activities are accessible to and usable by disabled persons, including persons who are deaf, hard of hearing or blind, or who have other sensory impairments. Access features include:
- Convenient off-street parking designated specifically for disabled persons.
- Curb cuts and ramps in parking areas and buildings.
- Level access into first floor level with elevator access to all other floors.
- Fully accessible offices, bathrooms, public waiting areas, patient treatment areas, including examining rooms.
- Qualified sign language interpreters for persons who are deaf or hard of hearing.
If you require any assistance, please let the receptionist or your nurse know.
To file a Section 504 Grievance:
Boulder Medical Center, P.C.
Section 504 Coordinator
Email: Email the Boulder Medical Center patient advocate
U.S. Department of Health & Human Services
Regional Office for Civil Rights
999 18th Street, Room 417
Denver, CO 80202
FAX (303) 844-2025
TDD (303) 844-3439