Very Important! Please Read!
As a general rule all oral allergy, cold and sinus medications need to be stopped 5 days prior to skin testing.
This includes over the counter medications and herbal supplement.
Other classes of medications that may interfere with skin testing:
- Sleep Medications (e.g., Tylenol PM)
- Tricyclic Anti Depressants
- Anti Anxiety Medications
- Stomach Acid Medications
- Prednisone (chronic use*)
*Chronic use = >10mg/day for more than 2 weeks.
If used chronically – off 2 weeks prior to testing. Ask your MD how to taper off.
If not chronic use – no need to go off of it.
It is okay to continue:
- Asthma Inhalers
- Nasal Sprays (Except Astelin, Patanase, Astepro, Dymista)
- Oral Contraceptives
The following is a list of medications that needs to be stopped before skin testing in order to obtain accurate results. We understand that some of these may be difficult to stop. If you have concerns about stopping any of the following medications please discuss this with your physician’s office and let us know.
If you are on an allergy medication and do not see it on the list please call our office to be sure it is okay to continue taking it.
Medications to STOP 7-14 days prior to Testing*
- Amitryptyline (Elavil)
- Clomipramine (Anafranil)
- Doxepin (Sinequnan)
- Imipramine (Tofranil)
- Trimipramine (Surmontil)
- Amoxapine (Asendin)
- Desipramine (Nupramin)
- Nortiptyline (Pamelor, Aventyl)
- Protriptyline (Vivactil)
- Maprotiline (Ludiomil)
- Mirtazapine (Remeron)
- Trazadone (Desyrel)
- Nefazadone (Serzone)
- Astelin (Azelastin)/Astepro
- Dymista Patanase (Olopatidine)
*Please consult with your physician before stopping any of these medications if you take them on a regular basis.
Medications to STOP 5-7 days prior to Testing
- Claritin (Loratidine)
- Allegra (Fexofenadine)
- Clarinex (Desloratidine)
- Periactin (Cyproheptadine)
Medications to STOP 3-4 days prior to Testing
- Actifed, Dimetapp (Brompheniramine)
- Atarax, Vistaril (Hydroxyzine)
- Benadryl (Diphenhydramine)
- Chlortrimetron (Chlorpheniramine)
- Dexchlorpheniamine (Polaramine)
- Phenergan (Promenthazine)
- Vitamin C
- All allergy eye drops OTC and RX (as tolerated)
- Zyrtec (Cetirazine)
- Compazine (Prochlorperazine
- Xyzal (Levocetirazine)
- Tylenol PM
- Advil PM
- Tavist, Antihist (Clemastine)
- Nettle (herbal medication)
Medications to Stop the day before Testing
- Singulair (Montelukast)
- Zyflo (Zileuton)
- Accolate (Zafirleukast)
- Reglan (Metoclopramide)
- Ranitidine (Zantac)
- Cimetidine (Tagamet)
- Famotidine (Pepcid) & Pepcid Complete
- Nizatidine (Axid)
- ALL.35 Rev 04/14
- Medications to Stop the day before Testing
- Prilosec (Omeprazole)
- Dexilant (dexlansoprazole)