Brian Smith, DO
About Brian Smith
Surgeon Brian Smith, DO, is a native of Charlotte, North Carolina. He comes from a medical family where his father and sister are emergency room physicians. “Practicing medicine was always a goal of mine while growing up,” he says.
As a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO), Dr. Smith takes a whole-person approach to help his patients prevent and recover from illness and injury.
Dr. Smith strives to provide compassionate, quality care with a patient-centered focus. He believes in listening to and collaborating with patients to help them get healthy and stay well. “In addition to offering the best possible care, educating my patients is of the utmost importance so that each person can fully understand their diagnosis and any procedure that will be done,” he explains.
As a general surgeon, Dr. Smith is dedicated to maintaining excellent technical skills to treat a variety of conditions and diseases. He offers extensive experience in all areas of surgical intervention, including minimally invasive and robotic surgery utilizing the Da Vinci robot platform. “When appropriate for the patient, minimally invasive surgical methods can significantly reduce pain and recovery time,” he says.
Dr. Smith’s surgical services include:
- Alimentary tract – stomach, small intestine, colon, upper and lower endoscopy
- Abdomen and its contents – hernia of all types, diaphragm, biliary tract, liver, spleen
- Breast, skin, and soft tissue – benign and malignant disease
- Endocrine – thyroid and parathyroid glands
- Surgical oncology – including coordinated management of the cancer patient in the above areas, particularly hernia repair
- Trauma – comprehensive management and responsibility for all phases of trauma care